America is experiencing an age wave. Within the next decade about 16% of the American population will be over the age of 65 and by 2050 that number is expected to double. Predictably the fastest growing segment of the housing market is the Baby Boomer population. The housing industry and product manufacturers must respond to this trend and universal design is one way they are doing this. This course will help you to understand the importance of the changing demographics in the US and recognize the impact that the aging population is having on the environment and products.
After completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Describe current and predicted demographic trends in aging
- Analyze the impact that the aging population is having on environments and products
- List the 7 principles of universal design and give an example of each
- Understand the difference between universal design and accessible design
- Describe the effect aging has on health, behavior and everyday life
CEU is worth 1 LU/HSW AIA Credit.